“What should we wear” is the one of the top questions I receive when planning a session! I put together a bunch of resources for you to use to help plan your session. Please feel free to email me a snapshot of your wardrobe choices before your session if you need help picking out clothing or accessories. I do not mind at all and many of my clients do this to get my opinion of what will photograph best.
* For outdoor sessions, the expecting mother can wear a bright colored maxi dress or something with texture. If it is colder, a tight fitting sweater looks great to give shape to the growing belly. This can be worn with tighter jeans and tall boots. If the father-to-be is participating, they can wear a collared shirt (or sweater if cold weather is present) with khaki pants or dark colored jeans. Try to choose coordinating colors as expecting mother. Avoid distracting elements such as watches, tennis shoes, busy patterns, etc.
* For indoor sessions, the above items look great but I usually prefer to drape mother to be in wraps with a sheer material. You can bring a black or white thin strapped tank top to your session to wear under and then tiny shorts or just boy shorts underwear. Some people prefer to be a little more covered and can wear a dress that is form fitting around the middle to show the growing belly. If the father-to-be is participating, they can wear a collared shirt with khaki pants or dark colored jeans. Avoid distracting elements such as watches, tennis shoes, busy patterns, etc.
* There is no need to bring any special outfits for your newborn since I have many props and accessories for them to use during the session. If there is a special hat, blanket or other prop you want to include, just let me know.
* The expecting mother and father can choose their clothing based on the background colors. For the black background, I prefer a black top for Mom and Dad and then dark pants for a bottom (only the top will show in most cases). For the white or bone colored background, I prefer white or lighter colors (such as pastels or soft gray). The pants can be a light khaki pair of pants or darker jeans (again only the top will show in most cases). For the charcoal gray background, you can choose either one dark colors or light. Do not pick any colors that are too distracting or it will take the focus off of the baby.
* If any siblings are involved, they can be coordinated with the parents. Avoid any writing, characters, little animals or graphics, logos, etc. Solids work best for newborn images and feel free to dress them up a little. I love to see the siblings in beautiful flowy dresses or in cute little sweater vests.
Baby and Toddler Sessions
* Babies under the age of 8 months can bring a cute outfit to the session or I have some adorable props for babies that age such as hats, petti skirts, tutu’s, ruffled rompers, diaper covers, ties, etc. We can discuss this before your session. Babies sitting age and up look cute in at least one cute outfit. Avoid any writing, characters, little animals or graphics, logos, etc. Textured fabrics photograph best including but not limited to lace, ruffles, cable knit, cordoroy, fur, and layers too. Coordinate with whole family if planning on doing family images too!
* Younger preschool age and older look cute in most outfits. Avoid any writing, characters, little animals or graphics, logos, etc. Textured fabrics photograph best including but not limited to lace, ruffles, cable knit, cordoroy, fur, and layers too. Coordinate with whole family if planning on doing family images too!
* It is best to choose a few colors for family’s session. The larger the family, the more colors that need to be coordinated. For instance, a family of three people can pick 3 colors to coordinate their clothing together such as red, navy and white. A family of four people might add a fourth color such as black, gray, maroon and tan (they can sneak white in there too). I would never recommend more than 5-6 colors including basics like black and white that go with everything. I especially love bright pops of color for outdoor portraits! It is alright to add a pattern or two into the mix. A family of 3 people should only have 1 pattern but a family of 4 can have 2. It all depends on how they look together. See the color palettes below for guidance. Avoid any writing, characters, little animals or graphics, logos, etc. Textured fabrics photograph best including but not limited to lace, ruffles, cable knit, cordoroy, fur, and layers too.
Coordinating Color Palettes
Online Boutiques and Etsy shops I recommend for Children’s Clothing and Accessories
Sunda Rose – handmade designs for baby and child, natural and perfect for portraits
Kate & Lulu’s – girls dresses and outfits
Kermaily – girls dresses and accessories (love their ruffle dresses and VERY reasonable in prices)
Online Boutiques and Etsy Shops I recommend for Women’s Clothing and Accessories
Shabby Apple – Conservative style clothing including dresses, blouses, skirts and accessories
Ruche – Trendy, younger style clothing including dresses, tops, skirts, accessories and more
Anthropologie – Trendy, fun styles of clothing and accessories with bright colors
Mika Rose – Trendy unique styles for all ages, clothing and accessories with various colors and styles
Rustic Vogue – Younger style clothing and accessories with various styles and colors
Ash and Rose – Unique patterns and styles of clothing and accessories
Charming Charlie – Trendy, affordable clothing and accessories
White House / Black Market – Beautiful, classy clothing for women–no colors
Anna Clothing – Stylish handmade clothing, bright colors too
Fashional Clothing – Handmade clothing, some unique dress styles and colors
Woolen Moss – Organic Clothing, cute designs, comfortable looking items
Online Boutiques and Etsy Shops I recommend for Men’s Clothing and Accessories
Boutique 1 – button down shirts, sweaters, pants, polo shirts, etc.
Flat Seven Boutique – shirts, pants, sweaters, fun outfits, etc.
Online Boutiques and Etsy Shops I recommend for Cake Smash Sessions and Birthday Sessions
Think Pink Bows – Girls’ beautiful dresses for a birthday session
Julietta Boutique – Girls’ beautiful dresses for a birthday session
Ava Madison Boutique – Girls’ beautiful dresses for a birthday session
La Bella Flora – Girls couture, Special Occasion dresses for birthday session
Melissa Jane Boutique – Girls special Occasion Designer Couture dresses for birthday session
Sew Boy Baby – One year boy birthday outfits
Bella Bumble Bee – One year girl birthday outfits
Naturally Maternal – One year cake smash outfit for girls
I will be adding to this list occasionally so check back. Also if you have other ideas to add to the list, let me know.